Motorola has fallen short of its expected arrival time for the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update and this has disappointed users. Until the official updates are available, the custom firmware are always up to gain popularity.
Here comes the huge respite for the Motorola Defy users who can now update their phone with the Android ICS firmware package, though this is not the official firmware release by Motorola and there is no ETA for the official launch.
The newly stable Android 4.0 ICS ROM here comes with the best features like camera panorama picture capture, Google Chrome browser, Face detection and face unlock feature along with data usage detailed.
Pre Upgrade Instructions
Before we proceed with the steps to install the the custom Android ICS ROM follow the pre upgrade instructions here –
- Make sure that this update is only for the users who own Motorola Defy Plus smartphone but not any other version.
- Make sure that your smartphone is rooted.
- Please make sure that you have more than 70 % battery life left on your phone.
- Need to take a backup of various applications and files on your device, follow the below guide to back them individually –
SMS – Use “SMS Backup & Restore app”
Contacts – Sync with the Gmail application
Call Log – Call Log and Restore
Songs, Videos & Files – Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings – Note down manually via “Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names”.
- Make sure that you need to have USB Debugging installed on your device. Go to Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging” and you should tick the USB debugging option.
Disclaimer: Since this is a custom firmware, users should understand that they are proceeding with this update on their own risk. Neither developer nor we would be held responsible for anything happens to your device but we ensure that everything works fine.
Motorola Defy with ICS 4.0.4 Firmware Procedure
Follow the below procedure to update Motorola Defy with Android 4.0.4 ICS upgrade –
- First and the foremost thing you should do is to download the Android 4.0 ICS package for the Motorola Defy and also the Google Apps package separately.
- You need to connect your phone using the USB cable to the PC and then place these two files on the root of your SD card not much inside the folders.
- Disconnect the USB connection and then power off your smartphone, so that you can boot in the recovery mode.
- One can easily enter the Motorola Defy smartphone in the recovery mode by using the various keys combination of Volume down, power button together at once. Release button when you see the recovery menu.
- Up next you need to select “install zip from sd card” > “choose zip from sd card” and browse for the firmware package you have downloaded earlier. Here in the recovery mode, you can make use of the volume up and down keys to navigate between the options and to select a highlighted option you need to press the power button.
- Once that is applied you would be taken back to the recovery mode screen.
- Now repeat the procedure for the Google Apps package.
- Now return back to the recovery menu screen and select “reboot system now” to reboot your device.
- The phone will take a certain time to boot it for the first time on Android 4.0.4.
With that procedure, you have updated your Motorola Defy with the customer based Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich stable firmware.